Monday, July 23, 2007

07/23/07 - Famous Namesakes and Blog Narcissism


Above is the "Political Johnny Gilpin" from an 1892 Punch magazine illustration (see page 319). Also here on page 31 - this must have been a fairly famous ballad - although I seem to think my relative is getting lambasted?

OK, almost anyone who blogs or builds a web page eventually checks out how their site comes up in search engines...while engaging in this bit of digital ego stroking (searching "gilpin art" on Google) I discovered some very distant relatives (Rev. William Gilpin, (English (Cumbria) clergyman, painter and aesthetic) Sawrey Gilpin (brother of William and famous animal painter), Wiliam Sawrey Gilpin (son of Sawrey and student of Uncle William), Laura Gilpin, American photographer) who each made an impression in art. And also this little story about a "John Gilpin" from a Gutenberg Press archive.

Perhaps there is hope for me to eventually become successful (or notorious) as an artist, after all ;-)
























Oh, in case your were wondering, I gave up looking after the twentieth search page for a page ranking from this blog. My wife's school blog came up very quickly even though I don't think she has posted there more than five times!

Holly, you must of cheated somehow! Page five indeed!

No comments: