Sunday, July 15, 2007

06/28/07 - Sketchbook Inking Practice

Here are two images (actually all on one sheet of tracing paper but too big to fit on my scanner ;-) ) that are inked versions of sketches made in July 2006.

These were done with the my new Pentel Brush Pen on tracing paper. I was still getting used to the brush pen so these are a little rough and sketchy. The line weights on the nude kneeling figure are too heavy on the highlight side but are more a result of not being able to rest my hand on the tracing paper (than purposeful intent).

The clumsily drawn hands I do have to take credit for (need to spend several hours just working on hands!).

On the plaid skirt I was intentionally going for a "dried brush" type of effect to approximate a woolen texture. This brush pen has to be squeezed periodically to get the ink down to the synthetic bristles - so you can get different effects as the ink runs out. Nice for sketching away from home but I don't think I would ink comics with it. Not as responsive as a real brush and you always have to worry if disposable ink pen's ink will bleed through white out corrections.

No comments: