Monday, February 27, 2006

03/26/04 - Sketchbook - Inking Practice


Scanned as grayscale so you can see the underlying pencil drawing. These were done on bristol, pencilled first (from my imagination/visual memory) then inked with Raphael 8404 #3 brush and Black Magic ink. The park bench scene was inked with a Hunt 102 crowquill pen.

My big problem with the brush is line weight. I tend to keep it too uniform. Outlines on the highlight side should be thinner and even break up a little. Jack Hamm talks about the "T" and overlapping shapes in his book Drawing the Head and Figure. This helps give some depth to the contour line as opposed to it looking like the edge of a cutout.

1 comment:

Jeff said...

Great, great stuff. I would like to use some of your work for some screen prints. I didn't see your email on your site. Please email jeff@generationprintshop.com
Thanks!